All Saint's Church

In 1888 it was felt that some provision for worship should be made for the large and increasing population at Moortop and Brackenhill. It was decided at a meeting on January 25th 1888, that a new Chapel-of-Ease should be built at Moortop, but it was considered prudent to not begin building until the necessary funds for completion had been promised.

The most important contribution came from the sisters Sybilla and Julia Wheler of Cleveland Lodge on Wakefield Road, who purchased the land opposite their home, from Earl Fitzwilliam Lord St Oswald of Nostell Priory and donated it for the church to be built upon.

The Archbishop of York approved the plans and York Church extension Society awarded a grant towards building costs. At a meeting in May a Mr Nelstrop offered a bell and on June 5th 1888 the Foundation Stone of the church was laid by Canon Falloon (the Rector of Ackworth). Originally this task was to be undertaken by Sybilla of Cleveland Lodge but she was unable to do so due to illness and unfortunately in the months that followed, both sisters died and although they saw significant progress of the building, never saw the completion of All Saints Church (Sybilla died on August 4th 1888 and Julia on November 25th 1888).

The bell turret was built and the main roof slated by November 1888 and in January and February work was concentrated on inside on the Chancel flooring, pews and heating.

In April 1889 Joseph North was asked to build the boundary wall on Wakefield Road. At this time there was only a few yards of land behind the church until some years later the land as we see it today, was purchased to use for burials.

The church was opened at 3pm on Tuesday July 2nd 1889 with a service taken by the Archdeacon of Sheffield, Canon Blakeney. The church was dedicated to 'All Saints' by the request of the sisters Sybilla and Julia Wheler. 

The next special occasion was on 25th September 1889 when a memorial window manufactured by Clayton & Bell of London, ordered by Mrs St. Aubyn who was sister of the late Sybilla and Julia, was placed in the East Window of the church: 'In loving memory of two sisters'.

The names of the two sisters were placed on a lancet on each side of the East window.

This information was taken from the 125th Anniversary Celebration of All Saints booklet 2014 

Detail of the Sisters' windows that are either side of the large East window:

'In loving memory of two sisters AD 1888'


'Sybilla Catherine Wheler

Julia Fanny Wheler'