Electric Theatre

The 'Electric Theatre' name might confuse some people as to its origins. The actual Electric theatre was housed in the part of the building to the right that had the castellated extension added at a later date to the original and now houses a gym (as can be seen in the following photos). The left hand, original part of the building was a working men's club, built for Ackworth's quarry workers. 

The Electric Theatre opened in 1915 and had an auditorium measuring 86 feet long and 26 feet wide.  In 1929, it was refused a Cinematograph Licence, due to inadequate provisions for toilets and fire safety issues, and was closed.

It was later used as a sewing factory, employing local women who manufactured car seat covers at one point, until it closed and has since been used as a gym under several ownerships.